Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Book Review | Crank by Ellen Hopkins


Title: Crank
Author: Ellen Hopkins
Release Date: October 1st 2004
Page Amount: 537 pages, Paperback edition

GoodReads Link 

GoodReads Blurb:

In Crank, Ellen Hopkins chronicles the turbulent and often disturbing relationship between Kristina, a character based on her own daughter, and the "monster," the highly addictive drug crystal meth, or "crank." Kristina is introduced to the drug while visiting her largely absent and ne'er-do-well father. While under the influence of the monster, Kristina discovers her sexy alter-ego, Bree: "there is no perfect daughter, / no gifted high school junior, / no Kristina Georgia Snow. / There is only Bree." Bree will do all the things good girl Kristina won't, including attracting the attention of dangerous boys who can provide her with a steady flow of crank. 

Review:

This was my first Ellen Hopkins book and it will not be my last. Boy, was it a powerful read. It looks like a long book but that's deceiving. It's written in verse. This is a form of novel writing that I love. It mixes two of my favorite art forms. Poetry/verse and fiction/novels. This book is a heavy read so be sure that you're prepared if you're going to dive in. It details a young woman's downward spiral into the world of drugs. It is powerful, heartfelt, infuriating...and yet there is still hope. I loved this book. I gave it away to one of my best friends soon after I read it because I wanted other people to read it, too. I will be reading the second one and more Ellen Hopkins books. This was one of my top three books of 2016. 5 quills.


No comments:

Post a Comment