Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Book Review ~ Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley

 

Title: Relish: My Life in the Kitchen 
Author: Lucy Knisley
Release Date: April 2nd 2013
Published By: Macmillan Children's Publishing Group
Page Amount: 192 pages, Paperback

GoodReads Blurb:
A vibrant, food-themed memoir from beloved indie cartoonist Lucy Knisley.

Lucy Knisley loves food. The daughter of a chef and a gourmet, this talented young cartoonist comes by her obsession honestly. In her forthright, thoughtful, and funny memoir, Lucy traces key episodes in her life thus far, framed by what she was eating at the time and lessons learned about food, cooking, and life. Each chapter is bookended with an illustrated recipe—many of them treasured family dishes, and a few of them Lucy's original inventions.

A welcome read for anyone who ever felt more passion for a sandwich than is strictly speaking proper, Relish is a book for our time: it invites the reader to celebrate food as a connection to our bodies and a connection to the earth, rather than an enemy, a compulsion, or a consumer product. 

Review:
I may not read graphic novels a lot but I love them. The same goes for memoirs. When I saw that this book was both a graphic novel and a memoir I was intrigued. Then when I saw that it had to do with the author's love of food and cooking I knew that I had to read it. 

I wasn't disappointed. The artwork had a nice l cartoonish yet still realistic feel to it. I liked the art in the book. The story was interesting and the author's love for cooking and food definitely shone through while reading. Something that I especially loved about this was that at the end of each chapter there was a recipe. And it was still told in the same fashion. It was an illustrated recipe step by step. I even found a couple that I'm going to try. I think that that was my favorite touch to this book. At the end of the chapter all about cheese (more or less) there was a section on how to categorize cheese. I found that very interesting. 

All in all, I liked the illustrations, the story was interesting because of the love of food shining through each page and I loved the recipes at the end of each chapter. If you like memoirs, graphic novels, or cooking I would recommend that you give this one a try. If you like all three then definitely give this book a chance. I enjoyed it and I'm glad that I read it. I'd give this 3.5 quills.  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment