Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Book Review ~ The Adventures of Balto: The Untold Story of Alaska's Famous Iditarod Sled Dog by Patricia Chargot

 

Title: The Adventures of Balto: The Untold Story of Alaska's Famous Iditarod Sled Dog
Author: Patricia Chargot 
Release Date: March 1st 2006 
Published By: Publication Consultants 
Page Amount: 75 pages, E-book

GoodReads Blurb:

Balto, the great Alaska sled dog, has been dead since 1933. But he still stands larger-than-life on Dogdom's Mount Olympus, where the world's great canines are immortalized. Yet few people know Baltos true story. Only one small part has been told, and even it has been distorted. Several Balto books have been written. There's even a Balto animated movie, but it, too, is largely fiction. (Balto was NOT part wolf!) Like the books, the movie leaves off where this book begins -- and tells the best part of the story.

Balto was only three years old when he helped carry serum across Alaska from Nenana to Nome to save the town's children from diphtheria. As leader of the last dog team in the life-saving relay race, he became an overnight sensation - a BONEafide international celebrity.

But much more happened after that. Balto lived for eight more years. His days unfolded like a sled expedition to the North Pole, carrying him in an exhilarating rush over smooth snow one minute, an icy hummock the next. And how does the new story end? With a heart-thumping surprise that you can't imagine - and neither could have Balto.


Hook up your harness, step into Balto's booties, and mush off to Balto's true story. 

Review:
I was obsessed with the animated Balto movie when I was little. I also had a huge crush on the animated Balto. My mom just recently got the movie on DVD for me and I must have watched it at least ten times. I started to become curious about the real Balto so I did some searching on my Nook. The only books that I could find were children's books and this was the one that I chose. 

Overall, this was a very good read. It was very interesting to read the real story of Balto. It was much more sad than I expected it to be. But the ending was a happy one for the sled team. I also found out the real names of some of the other sled dogs. The ones that I remember are Alaska Slim, Tilly and Old Moctoc. There was also another sled dog mentioned who participated in the serum run on another team. (They actually did the serum run in a relay style). This dog's name was Togo. I also heard about when Balto sat for the statue that now sits in Central Park. It was great to know the story, sad parts and all. I'n glad that it was a happy ending but what happened to them throughout was awful. 


However, there were some typos in this book and I couldn't overlook that. I still adore the animated movie but this book was very good. 4 stars!


<3 Amanda 

No comments:

Post a Comment