Friday, April 19, 2013

Must Read Plays!

Here is a list of what I consider Must Read Plays! Most of which are by Shakespeare. :) Because I LOVE Shakespeare!!


1. Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Hamlet is an extraordinary play! It is my favorite play of all time and certainly my favorite Shakespeare play! It has so many complexities (even a bit of psychology thrown in there) and the language, of course, is beautiful! The Globe Theatre put on a production of Hamlet on the lawn at Pace! It was incredible! I wrote a review of it for the English Department newsletter. I should post that here. As well as the pictures we took!



2. MacBeth by William Shakespeare
MacBeth is a wonderful play! I loved this play! It is difficult to describe why. Again with the complexities. But yes, it was absolutely wonderful! 


3. All My Sons by Arthur Miller
We read All My Sons in my Introduction to Literature class sophomore year of college. The family dynamics and family secrets in this play were so well done. I really enjoyed this play very much!


4. A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
This is one of Shakespeare's comedies. We read and acted out this play in eighth grade.. I played the fairy queen. And one of the people whose mind gets messed with. The comedy in this play was very funny and very well done!


5. Othello by William Shakespeare
"There's cute jealous and then there's Othello." That's a quote from Gilmore Girls. It clearly gives you the idea that this play is about jealousy  As well as about deception and lies. It really makes one think. It was a great and tragic story!


6. Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
Another one of Shakespeare's comedies. This one is partially about the follies of falling in love and why one should avoid it at all costs. Now, I am all for falling in love, but the behaviors that take place within the characters are often spot on!


7. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare 
Ah, the last story was about how one should avoid falling in love and this one is ALL about love! A forbidden love between two teenagers, Romeo and Juliet. Their romance is forbidden by their families because they have been feuding and don't want their children interacting with each other. But the children meet. It is love at first sight and soon they are madly in love. They will do anything to be together! This is certainly an extremely tragic love story!

These plays are absolutely wonderful and you should definitely give them a read! If you pick just one though, the one I would recommend the most is Hamlet!! It is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE EVER!!!!! 

What are your favorite plays? Are you reading any now? I would LOVE to know!

<3 Amanda Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment