Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Must Read Classics!

I have been brainstorming ideas for blog posts. One of the ideas I got from a video that one of my favorite BookTube Channels put up. The BookTube was Chapter Chicks! So this blog post will be about what I think are Must Read Classics. 



1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Wuthering Heights is one of my all time favorite books! It is absolutely incredible! I heard it described as a tale of "love, madness and obsession." I consider this a completely accurate description. It is the ultimate tragic love story, in my opinion.



2. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
I stayed up reading this book until my father came into my room and took it out of my hands. In response to which I said "No." and grabbed it back from him. The story of the four very different sisters coming of age is beautiful. I always related to Jo the most, because she loves to write and is very hard-headed. 


3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
This book provides a great portrait of the rich in America in the 1920s. From the time of the roarin' 20's to when the Great Depression began to take hold of the country. It also has a tragic love story. And the story takes a direction one would never expect.


4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
This is a wonderful story about the complexities of America at the present time period. Some important lessons are learned by the children of Atticus Finch. Atticus Finch is also a great character. As is Boo Radley.


5. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
This book started the revolution of the meat packing industry in America. It revealed what really went on in the factories. And what made it's way into the meat. As well as the awful treatment of the people who worked there. There are some extremely gruesome scenes in this novel. So if you do not have a strong stomach, this may not be the classic for you. Although I believe it is a very important one.



6. A Thousand and One Nights by Anonymous
I very much enjoyed the story of A Thousand and One Nights. Sherizhad was very clever in the story. The stories she told throughout the story were also very good. (I hope that sentence makes sense...) This is definitely the oldest classic on this list. It is also definitely recommended.

Three Classics I Can't Wait To Read:
1. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
3. The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank

What about you? What are your some of your favorite classics? Which classics are you going to read next? I'd love to know!

<3 Amanda Leigh

2 comments:

  1. I've only read The Great Gatsby from your list and absolutely agree that it's a must read. I would also add anything Shakespeare of course (especially Hamlet, King Lear, Macbeth, Othello) and Shelley's Frankenstein I adore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Great Gatsby was great! (no pun intended). Oh yes, I forgot about Frankenstein! I love that one too! Definitely another must read! And Great Expectations! Maybe I'll do another post with "Must Read Classics: Part II!" Oh and the Shakespeare is in my post "Must Read Plays!" Which is a list of 7 plays, I believe, and 6 of them are Shakespeare! lol

      Delete