Friday, August 31, 2012

Book Review ~ Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder

 

Title: Chasing Brooklyn
Author: Lisa Schroeder 
Released: January 5th 2010
Published by: Simon Pulse
Page Amount: 412 pages, hardcover

Goodreads Blurb:

Restless souls and empty hearts.

Brooklyn can't sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca, died only a year ago, and now her friend Gabe has just died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants or why it isn't Lucca visiting her dreams.

Nico can't stop. He's always running, trying to escape the pain of losing his brother, Lucca. But when Lucca's ghost begins leaving messages, telling Nico to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.

As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest.

Review:
I am definitely becoming a Lisa Schroeder fan. I read I Heart You, You Haunt Me during my freshmen year of college and loved it. Both of these books are written in verse. Being a big fan of poetry, I really love this form. I would love to take a crack at writing a book in verse one day.
 
Brooklyn writes letters to Lucca and they are included throughout this book. The letters are also numbered. I like that the actual letters were included in the book. Nico and Broklyn begin training for a triathalon together and this helps to take Brooklyn's mind off of things. But the nightmares still come and Gabe still visits. Nico and Brooklyn grow closer when they are spending time training for the triatholon.
 
 I really like both Brooklyn and Nico and the relationship that develops between them. It seems like something that could really happen. That their relationship could really develop like this. It wasn't far fetched. The writing was very good and very emotional. Even though this is heavy subject matter, the ending left me with a feeling of hope. I really enjoyed this book and am planning to get the rest of Lisa Schroeder's books very soon. I give this 4 stars.
 
<3 Amanda Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment